Thursday, May 17, 2012

I Met Li Yang, and He's a Dick

Here is my experience working for Li Yang at a Crazy English camp: So when teaching at a summer camp in Chongqing, I stumbled upon Li Yang. Actually, it was his great-big-huge-ass-of-a-camp and he was making a TON of money. He had us foreigners get on the stage and do a little jig and then we got to shake his hand and listen to cheers. I was his favorite laowai and he made me speak Chinese. The crowd was bustling with youngsters ready to get a look, and after the show, we got our pictures taken together! Later on, the chief of the camp told me that Li Yang specifically wanted me to go all the way to warring-Xinjiang teach/perform. I said no (because he's a wife-beater) and that I would instead go back to Beijing. Here is a picture of the horrors of meeting Li-Yang (who beat his wife, Kim).
Liyang loves the American English accent, and every time I pronounced a word in front of our GIANT audience, I got cheers and claps. How marvelous! American English! The whole point of crazy English is mastering your accent, as Li Yang thinks the number 1 problem with the Chinese speaking English is the accent. Actually, the two languages are so incredibly different that just about the entire English language is hard for Chinese to grasp (and vica versa!) Btw, he is not pleasant on the eye. I also listened to those Crazy-English tapes of his he had his kids purchasing, and his wife Kim participated in many of the recordings. All while I was working for Li Yang at Crazy English camps, I was participating in a volunteer project called "Peace for Humanity" and promoting the cause of domestic violence in China. I even made a speech about it at a fancy art gallery one day. Here is an article about the girl, Jennifer, I worked for at Peace for Humanity. She might be disappointed to find out that I left Beijing for the summer to help the wife-beater out. So long! ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 


 (and now for something completely different) What are the people to do who can no longer read a bored girl and her half-hearted effort of trying to be a web-savvy citizen who can perform the totality of online communication with outsiders and strangers. What is the one person following me to do when I don't update for days, weeks, months or years? Now back to what I was thinking and about how today's topic will be a list of things and people I hate. First off, I hate Li Yang, the crazy English teaching-methods founder who is, what do you know, actually CRAZY. Of course it's old news he beat his American wife Kim to battered bruises and worst of all damaged her stability and their familily and the woman's efforts of maintaining normality. What is LI Yang's deal with the cross-cultural and supposed "experiment." OH, she just was using me as an experiment to see what it would be like to marry a Chinese man and have Chinese children and bla but NO I was just using her as an experiment to see how Americans raise their children, and after all, the methods of raising them are rather 厉害. So I beat her up. Eating jiaozi the other oh who fucking remembers when, I was watching a Chinese TV program and Miss Kim was a guest. Her Chinese is quite good, I'd say our language level is about the same, although I am less loquatious. Miss Kim went on national television to demonstrate to a non-grieving and and really non-caring China the tribulations of her relationship with LI Yang. She was shaking the during the whole interview and gesticulating in a way that only one on too much cocaine would do. But the woman has been through a horrendous time. And then she went on TV to bash LI Yang too a panel who asked her obvious questions such as "Why didn't you leave him before the beating became so severe?" and "Why did you stay with him?" etc, and her response to unsympathetic ears was that she thought they loved each other and that he loved her. She is a victim, but, yeah, it was sad to watch no one caring and her desperately seeking. If only I could find the Youku video for that show. It really was as if the audience and participating guests thought domestic violence either did not exist in China or was too far removed for them to care. Back to what I was thinking about Alfred Hitchcock. I had read that he in 1919 he wrote a script called "The Woman's Part," about the conflicting emotions a man feels while he watching his wife perform on stage. What a psychological drama the story must be. Back to what I was saying about how all Beijing didao-ers hate foreigners...was I saying that or thinking it? I think I was thinking it and don't believe I've ever said it. If I post, does that mean I said it; why, no, it just means I wrote it, or posted it. But I will one day say it. Back to what I was thinking about how all Beijing-didaoers hate foreigners. Well, they do.

No comments:

Working from home ruined my already fragile existence

 Yeah, not a popular topic, but I'm going to slowly but surely make it one - just the way the Covid-19 pandemic and mandates to leave th...