Thursday, April 12, 2012

What I'm thinking as I walk home from the office




Years ago I went to the hometown of Li Bai. I studied this poem recently, and now I want to go to a mountaintop. Under this poem, I illuminate my daily grievances.

--------

The dew is like pearl; the moon like a bow.

-------

Li Bai - Staying at the Night at a Mountain Temple

夜宿山寺
危楼高百尺
手可摘星辰
不敢高声语
空惊天上人

The tower is high at the top of the mountain
From here one's hand could pluck the stars
I do not dare speak in a loud voice
I feel to disturn the people in heaven

------

It is said that depressives make better writers and artists. Happy people don't produce quality art, and while I applaud myself for no longer being a depressive, I admit that being depressed and aloof brings comfort.
Off work at 6 pm. I shut down the computer and change into my walking shoes. It's time to walk home. So busy though.






My friends have invited me to dinner, but before dinner, I have to run 5k and before running 5k I have to balance my monthly budget and call my boss for the status of that 候先人. I have to read the news I downloaded on my iPad but didn't have time to look over, and I must listen to the Writer's Almanac from today, yesterday and the day before (because I've been too busy to listen to these podcasts lately), and what about PopupChinese and Fresh Air, when can I afford an hour to listen to these podcasts as well?

Fine, so it's 6:30 now, and if I don't have time or energy to run 5k, then I'll just walk the 7+k to the restaurant. Surely walking 7km is as good as running 5, yes or no? This way I could burn off the 300 calories from my second lunch, and maybe they'll have pizza tonight. Had I called Allen to ask how his date was last night? Crap, Sha Sha is calling me now. Can't forget class on Saturday, but I'm free Saturday afternoon, and so what will I do then? Study Chinese, of course, and then there is picking up teaching classes Sunday mornings and Sunday afternoon hashes. Frantic and hyper, I leave the office pondering the schedule of my weekend and my life to come. No moment to consider my surroundings, and absolutely no time for depression.

No comments:

Working from home ruined my already fragile existence

 Yeah, not a popular topic, but I'm going to slowly but surely make it one - just the way the Covid-19 pandemic and mandates to leave th...